Switching from pre-settled to settled status.

Switching from pre-settled status to settled status

If you were granted pre-settled status, also known as limited leave to remain, after applying to the EU Settlement Scheme, you will need to apply for settled status (indefinite leave to remain) before your pre-settled expires.

Generally, you should have been granted this status if you have leave in the United Kingdom for less than five years or you were unable to prove that you have been in the country for 5 or more years.

Know your status!

It is very important that you know what kind of immigration status you have. As of 20 September 2022, 40% of all concluded applications were granted pre-settled status which is valid only for 5 years from the day of receiving the letter with a decision. This means that approximately 2 677 190 people have to make another application to change to settled status if they wish to remain in the UK longer than 5 years. Your status won’t change automatically, you must submit a new application.



If you are not sure what status to you have, you can check it on your digital profile.

Go to: https://view-immigration-status.service.gov.uk/status

Log in to your digital profile providing:

  • your identity document number
  • your date of birth
  • an access code sent to your phone or email

Do not wait to apply!

You don’t have to wait until your pre-settled status expire. As soon as you reach 5 years of continuous residence in the UK, you can apply to switch to settled status. Even if you still have few years left on your pre-settled status. If you are not sure how the continuous residence rule works, please watch our information video.

Once you reach 5 continuous years of residence in the UK, you can make new application through the mobile app or government website. Just like you did the first time.

You will need your ID document, email address, phone number and NIN (if you have one). You can check our Settled Status Guide with instructions on how to do this.

You will have to provide the Unique Application Number (UAN) of your previous application for pre-settled status. This is so the Home Office can check that you already have pre-settled status and want to change it to settled status, as opposed to applying for the first time.



Keep your documents!

When you apply for settled status, it might happen that the Home Office will ask you to provide more evidence that you have been living in the UK continuously for 5 years.

Usually, they check their database using your National Insurance number to see if they have your records in HMRC or DWP, but it might not always work.

It is essential, therefore, that you keep documents such as bank statements, bills, payslips, etc in case this happens. For more information about the type of evidence accepted by the Home Office visit this link

If you had absences longer than 6 months in any 12-month period, keep evidence to prove that you were away due to important reasons (e.g. pandemic, child birth, illness etc).

For more information about absences and exceptions visit this link.

Find your Unique Application Number

If you don’t know what your Unique Application number is go to:

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status, click ‘Start now’ and then ‘Sign in’.

Log in by providing:

  • your identity document number
  • your date of birth
  • an access code sent to your phone or email

You will see details of your past applications, including 16-digit UAN.

If you need support to switch from pre-settled to settled we can help you. Email us on info@citizensrightsproject.org.

Our support is FREE and multiligual.