Right to reside

Here you will find resources on the rights of you and your family members to live in Scotland before, during and after the Brexit transition period.

The EU Settlement Scheme – Our Guide

If you are an EU, EEA, swiss citizen living in the UK, then in order to secure your rights to remain here after Brexit, you will probably need to register under the new EU Settlement Scheme.

How to do this and what are the currently known key dates and facts? Find out more by reading our Settled Status Guide (updated November 2019 – new update coming soon).

Applying to the EU Settlement Scheme – UK Government’s guide

The EU Settlement Scheme is a new immigration system for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens, and their family members, living in the UK who wish to stay in the country after Brexit. Only those who are residentes in the UK by the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020, can apply. It opened on 30 March 2019 and the deadline for applications is 30 June 2021.

You can find more about how to apply by downloading the UK Government’s guide here.

Home Office translations of the EU Settlement Scheme guidelines

In this link you can find translations of the settled status for EU citizens and their families guidance in the 26 EU languages.

How to show residency when checks don’t work

As part of your “Settled Status” application, the UK government will check if you have been resident in the UK. What to do if the checks don’t work? Check the list of documents you can provide here or read this explainer article by freemovement.org.uk.

“EU and EEA citizens in Scotland” by the Scottish Government

Scottish government has published a webpage about EU citizens’ rights and the Scottish Government position on the ongoing EU-UK negotiations. The page includes links to more resources and reports on EU citizens in the UK.

Support package from the Scottish Government

The Scottish Government published “a package of support” for EU citizens. You can find resources here. You can also find a letter of support from the First Minister translated into German, Polish, Spanish and French here.

Status of EU citizens in the UK – email alerts

You may sign up to Home Office newsletter about European Union citizens’ rights and the “settled status” scheme. It will send emails about new arrangements on EU citiznes’ rights directly to your inbox.

Delegation of the European Union to the United Kingdom

The Delegation will continue the service so far provided by the Representation related to EU Citizens Rights. All enquiries on Citizens’ rights matters can therefore be directed to the Delegation. Citizens can also continue to call the Europe Direct Contact Centre from the United Kingdom under 00 800 6 7 8 9 10 11 (free phone) or submit their question by web form. EU citizens in the UK seeking more information can contact their local embassies or consulates.

Video about EU citizens’ rights, settled status in the UK & Brexit by EU Delegation in the UK

Staying in the UK if you’re an EU citizen

Take this test in the Government’s website to find out what you or your family need to do to stay in the UK.

Applying for Settled Status – SCVO Quiz

Do you qualify for Settled Status and what is the best course of action for you? A quick quiz by SCVO, Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations.

How to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme – Guidelines by Freemovement

If you are still unsure how to apply for the Settled Status, you can find more information by visiting freemovement.org.uk – a website run by legal specialists, offering updates, commentary and advice on immigration and asylum law.

EU settled status application scheme walk-through by Free Movement

Right to appeal from EU Settlement Scheme decission

Learn about a right of appeal to the immigration tribunal for people refused pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.