Housing, Welfare Benefits and Employment Support
Vacancy for Italian-speaking rights worker, Edinburgh
The Citizens’ Rights Project is expanding its services for European citizens by providing a multilingual rights service for EU citizens in Scotland. The purpose of the service is to provide free information, advice and assistance, in community languages, for EU citizens who encounter problems in employment, housing, benefits, social services, and in accessing public services, particularly as a result of the pandemic. Some also suffer from the consequences of physical and social isolation from family members and other members of their community.
If you are interested in applying for this post, please see more details here.
Our new EU citizens’ Rights Service can offer you free online help and advice, on a number of topics.
At present, the service is only available to EU citizens living in Edinburgh, and is offered in Polish and Spanish. We hope to expand the number of languages offered, and reach a wider area, if we can obtain funding for that.
The topics that we cover at present are:
Housing and homelessness
This service is run with the assistance of funding from the National Lottery Community Fund
What kind of help can we provide?
- Assistance in completing application forms for benefits or housing
- Explaining your rights as an EU citizen to access a public service
- Advising and helping you in challenging decisions
- Contacting council or DWP departments on your behalf
- Raising queries with national consulates in Scotland
PLEASE NOTE. We are not able to represent you in courts and tribunals, but we can provide you with details of organisations that can help you.
We also take referrals from a number of partner organisations with which we work.
Here are links to a number of sources of information on these topics:
- Your rights to get help from the local council if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
- Special rules for public sector (councils and housing associations) and private tenants during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Applying to the Housing and Property Chamber First Tier Tribunal for Scotland